Monday, November 12, 2012

Matthew, Mark, Luke and John

Reading through the Gospels is always such a blessing. It was also very convicting this time around. The Gospels are very familiar territory for me, and so I had to make sure that I didn't just skim through stories I had heard before and read before and really take my time to see what God had to show me this time through. Most of my time in the Gospels is spent studying the birth of Christ, the parables He told during His ministry, and, of course, His crucifixion. These things are always enlightening and great places to learn and grow, but I was especially struck by the life of Christ during His time on Earth. He pursued His Father's will and often took time to be by Himself to pray. This struck me because my prayer life has been lacking lately. Prayer isn't about long, elaborate sentiments; it's honest communication with God about your thoughts, feelings, fears, triumphs, failures, about your life. God promises rest and peace to those who seek it. I am constantly trying to be as self-reliant as possible. I need to learn to take a step back and let go of the tight control I think I have over my life and turn to God when I need help.
"Come to me, all you who are wearied and burdened, and I will give you rest."
Matthew 11:28
               

No comments:

Post a Comment