Monday, September 12, 2011

Great Expectations

People always have great stories from college. All I ever heard in high school was how much better college would be. This is my fourth week of school and I'm still not sure what's so great about it. I keep making all these excuses, like "It will get better when I meet more people," or "When I start working on my major, school will be more interesting." Yes, these things are true, and yes, enjoying yourself is a state of mind, but the external things in your life influence your state of mind, right? By building all these expectations, I feel as though I'm setting myself up for disappointment. Don't get me wrong. I'm happy to be going to college. I'm happy that soon I'll be studying what interests me and I will be moving forward with my life. In this moment, however, I'm wondering what's so great about college. I'm not a partier. I don't plan on joining a sorority. I'm not a hugely social person, which is probably part of my problem. I don't know. Maybe after eight weeks, I'll feel differently.

2 comments:

  1. I love you. you are completely voicing how I feel. I don't hate it anymore. But I don't like it much either.
    Love you so hard,
    Jacqueline

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stumbled upon this as I was pretending to do homework. Meredith, it took me until 2nd semester to start loving school. Find something to get involved in that makes you look forward to it each week. Try out a bunch of things to start. Take at least one class a semester that gets you excited. It's those little things that ended up making the year for me. Trust me. You're not in the minority in not having a fulfilling first start to college. Love you cuzzy wuzzy. Sara

    ReplyDelete